United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - NEW - British Citizenship (British Overseas Territory by Discretion - Father Illegitimate) Post 82

A person born to a father who was born in a British Overseas Territory can normally rely on the reclassification rules enacted in recent years that allowed British Overseas Territory Citizens (or BOTCs) - by birth or by descent from a father - to become full British citizens. However, gender discrimination still meant that those born illegitimately (i.e. out of wedlock) did not have this same benefit. A recent proposal to remedy such gender discrimination means that those who suffered from this unfairness can now register as a British Overseas Territories Citizen and then immediately register as a full British citizen.

Broadly speaking, this solution relies on the following:

  • An applicant born any time after 31 December 1982;
  • An applicant's father born in a British Overseas Territory; AND
  • The applicant born out of wedlock.

If the applicant was born in wedlock, then this process of becoming a British citizen would have happened automatically.

PLEASE NOTE: If such an applicant has any children under the age of 18, then these children could be registered as British citizens.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.