United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Passport & Nationality - NEW - British Citizenship by Double Descent (Wedlock Discretion - GF Sec 3(2))

New legislation that looks to remedy historical unfairness in the older nationality law gained Royal Assent on 28 April 2022. One such area that this affects is where a child registration did not take place because the child's parent was not a British citizen because their parents were not married at the time of birth. Based on your family tree, it appears that such an application would be successful. While the theory is complex, this solution broadly requires the following:

 - the child's birth between 1 January 1983 and 13 January 1992;

 - the child is now at least 18 years old;

 - the child's parent spent at least three years in the UK before the child's birth;

 - the child's grandfather was born in the UK;

 - the child's parent was born out of wedlock.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.