United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Work Skills & Ancestry - Sole Representative Visa (Business Transfer)

The Sole Representative Visa is available to those senior employees of a non-UK business looking to establish a branch in the United Kingdom.

To qualify for a Sole Representative visa, applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • Must have been recruited and taken on as an employee outside the UK as a representative of a company that has its main office outside of the UK without a branch, subsidiary or other representative in the UK;
  • Must be a senior employee with authority for decision making on behalf of the overseas company with respect to setting up the branch in the UK;
  • Must be employed full time as a representative of the overseas firm;
  • Must not be a majority shareholder in the overseas firm;
  • Must not take up any employment other than that relating to their work for the overseas firm;
  • Must be able to financially maintain and accommodate themselves and any dependents without recourse to public funds; and
  • Must obtain entry clearance as a Sole Representative before entering the UK.

Applicants applying for a Sole Representative visa can only work in the business for which the permission to enter the UK was originally sought. The visa is granted for two (2) years which can be extended for a further three (3) years. This category may lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain (IRL). ILR entitles individuals to permanent residency as well as visa-free travel to and from the UK. ILR holders may also be able to sponsor their non-British relatives into the UK and may also ultimately be eligible to apply for British citizenship.

Eligible dependents may also qualify to be included and upon obtaining the visa, they may also work without any restrictions.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.