United Kingdom - flag United Kingdom - Work Skills & Ancestry - Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) Visa

The Sponsored Worker (Tier 2 Minister of Religion) visa is for Ministers of Religion coming to the United Kingdom to perform pastoral duties. The Sponsored Worker (Tier 2 Minister of Religion) visa category also caters to those seeking to come to the UK as a missionary or member of a religious order, such as monks, nuns or members of similar religious communities.

Applicants who are granted temporary residence under the Sponsored Worker (Tier 2 Minister of Religion) visa scheme are permitted to live and work in the UK for the duration of their employment for a maximum three (3) year period.



The basic requirement for this visa is to score a minimum of 70 points for attributes including sponsorship, English language and available maintenance (funds).

Applicants under the Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) include those who act in the capacity of a Minister of Religion (either regularly or occasionally), missionaries and members of religious orders. Duties performed by eligible applicants under Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) can include:

- Leading worship
- Preaching or teaching religious education
- Officiating at marriages, funerals and other religious services
- Offering counselling or welfare support to members of a congregation
- Recruiting, training or coordinating the work of local volunteers and preachers
- Organising missionary activities

In the first instance, a prospective sponsor will apply to the UK Border Agency in order to be granted a license. When successfully licensed, a sponsor can apply for a number of certificates of sponsorship, which they can then present to the people whom they intend to sponsor. Once a prospective employee has been allocated a certificate of sponsorship, he or she will be eligible to apply for UK entry clearance or leave to remain in the UK.


The Sponsored Worker (Tier 2 Minister or Religion) visa is issued for an initial maximum period of three (3) years.

Upon successfully holding a Sponsored Worker (Tier 2 Minister of Religion) for a total of five (5) years, individuals may be entitled to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). ILR entitles individuals to permanent residency in the UK, as well as visa-free travel to and from the UK. ILR holders may also be able to sponsor their non-British relatives into the UK and may also ultimately be eligible to apply for British Citizenship.

Eligible dependents may also qualify to be included and upon obtaining the visa, may also work or study without any restrictions.


Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.

WhatPassport.com is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.