Right to be Caymanian - Acknowledgement

Any person who

* is Caymanian at the 1st January, 2004;
* is Caymanian as of right (see note 1);
* is Caymanian by grant of the Caymanian Status & Permanent Residency Board under any of the categories in (i) to (v) above;
* has obtained the right to be Caymanian by entitlement, being
o the child of a Caymanian
o under the age of eighteen and
o legally and ordinarily resident in the Islands for a period of not less than one year; or
* has been granted the right to be Caymanian by the Governor-in-Cabinet.

may apply in writing to the Chief Immigration Officer for the formal acknowledgement of that right in his passport. There is an administrative filing fee of $50 payable for this service. If the Chief Immigration Officer refuses to make such an acknowledgement that person may, within seven days of that decision having been communicated to him, appeal against the Chief Immigration Officer's decision to the Caymanian Status and Permanent Residency Board.

Note 1: 'Caymanian as of right' means a child-

* born on or after the 1st January, 2004 whether in or outside the Islands, at the date of whose birth at least one of his parents was settled in the Islands and was Caymanian;
* born outside the Islands, after the 1st January, 2004, at the date of whose birth at least one of his parents was Caymanian otherwise than by descent; or
* who acquired the status of Caymanian under section 21 of the repealed Immigration Law (2003 Revision) or under any earlier law conferring the same or similar rights.

Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality:

WhatPassport.com is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth.