Italy - flag Italy - Passport & Nationality - Italian Citizenship by Descent

You have the right to obtain Italian citizenship by descent in the following cases:

By filiation (birth to an Italian parent); this is consistent with the principle of jus sanguinis.

- if your father, mother or one of your direct ancestors at a second degree (grandparents) have been Italian citizens by right of birth and you:

- serve in the Italian Army and preventively declare you want to acquire Italian citizenship;
- work in the Civil Service for the Italian State and declare you want to acquire Italian citizenship;

- at the coming of age (age 18) have already legally resided in Italy for at least two years and declare before turn 19 you want to acquire Italian citizenship.

- If you are a minor (under age 18) cohabiting with your foreign parent who acquires the Italian citizenship.

Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality: is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth. is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.