Italy - Passport & Nationality - Italian Citizenship by Descent
By filiation (birth to an Italian parent); this is consistent with the principle of jus sanguinis.
- if your father, mother or one of your direct ancestors at a second degree (grandparents) have been Italian citizens by right of birth and you:
- serve in the Italian Army and preventively declare you want to acquire Italian citizenship;
- work in the Civil Service for the Italian State and declare you want to acquire Italian citizenship;
- at the coming of age (age 18) have already legally resided in Italy for at least two years and declare before turn 19 you want to acquire Italian citizenship.
- If you are a minor (under age 18) cohabiting with your foreign parent who acquires the Italian citizenship.