New Zealand - flag New Zealand - Working Holiday - Working Holiday Visa NZ

This Working Holiday Visa for New Zealand gives young people aged between 18 and 30 the opportunity to travel to New Zealand and work during their stay. They must be single or married without children.

The scheme allows individuals the right to work in New Zealand on a casual basis as a way to supplement their travel. This means that the work carried out must be incidental and meet the conditions stipulated on the visa. They are permitted to be employed for 12 months only.

Most participants in the scheme are allowed to remain in New Zealand for a period of up to 12 months, although this is extended to 23 months if you hold a British Passport. From 26 November 2007 onwards, working holiday-makers who are able to show they have worked in the horticulture or viticulture industries for at least 3 months could be eligible to obtain an extra 3 month stay in New Zealand. Click here for more information on this Working Holiday Extension.

The New Zealand Working Holiday visa is available to passport holders of a pre-set list of countries. The scheme is available to participants from the following countries:

In some cases, a certain number of places are available each year depending on which country the individual is from.

To qualify for this scheme, you must:

  • Be a citizen of a country that has a Working Holiday Scheme agreement with New Zealand
  • Hold a valid passport for the country you normally reside in as a permanent resident or citizen
  • Meet basic requirements for Health, Character, and Age
  • Have sufficient funds to support you during your time in New Zealand
  • Have onward travel booked or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket
  • Not bring children with you
  • Have not applied for and being granted a working holiday visa before.

Ask Philip Gamble whether you (or your children) have a claim to British nationality.

Learn more about these routes to British Nationality: is a specialist UK Nationality and British Citizenship site offering an online search and assessment. Claims to hold a British Passport can be complex and the site offers a quick, simple search to give you the answers. While many people qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa based on holding a Commonwealth passport with a UK born grandmother or grandfather, we have found that if you have a grandparent born in the UK, or if your mother is British or your father is British, then there are several scenarios where you can claim British Nationality and the right to hold a British Passport. This stems from Britain’s collection of British Colonies, British Protectorates and British Protected States in the middle of last century and the Nationality rules concerning what are now the countries of the Commonwealth. is a subsidiary of Sable International.

Sable International offers a range of services relating to UK and Australian immigration. For over 20 years, we have been helping people with their UK and Australian visa applications. We assist with applications for Ancestry visas, spouse visas, work visas, Tier 1 visas, UK working holiday visas, UK dependant visas, Tier 4 visas, UK Visitor visas, sponsorship visas or UK permanent residency or indefinite leave to remain. We also specialise in UK visa extensions. If you’ve overstayed your visa, our Overstayer Status Trace service can assist to regularise your visa status.