United States of America
Americans are eligible for BRITISH NATIONALITY in the following circumstances:
- You are LIVING IN THE UK on a valid visa and intend to Naturalise as a British Citizen in due course. Read more about British Citizenship through Residency.
- You were BORN IN THE UK* (or Northern Ireland) before 1983. You will have been classified as British Otherwise than by Descent, can hold a British Passport, and can pass British Nationality to your children, irrespective of where these children are born. Read more about British Nationality by Birth.
- You have a PARENT* (a father or mother) who was Naturalised in the UK before your birth, or who was born in the UK (or Northern Ireland) before 1983. Your parent will have been classified as British Otherwise than by Descent, hold a British Passport, and they can pass British Nationality to their children, irrespective of where these children are born. Read more about British Nationality by Descent.
- You have a GRANDPARENT born in the UK (or Northern Ireland). Read more about British Nationality by Double Descent.
- You are UNDER 18, and you have a grandparent or great grandparent born in the UK (or Northern Ireland). Read more about the British Nationality rights of children under the age of 18.
* It gets more complicated if:
Philip Gamble & Partners are specialists in British Nationality Law, and assist clients in determining whether they have a claim to British Nationality through parents, grandparents and former British territories.
How do I find out?
We suggest following our 4 STEP PROCESS, designed to simplify the complex laws of British nationality and to avoid unnecessary and expensive application fees, to find your answer:
Step 1: Determine whether you have a Standard Route (birth in the UK before 1983, or a parent born in the UK before 1983)
Step 2: If not, complete our free Nationality Assessment
Step 3: Order a free British Passport Review
Step 4: Conduct a Status Trace
Complete our Nationality Assessment
To find out whether you or your children might have a claim, take a couple of moments to complete our FREE online Passport Assessment.